Thursday, April 15, 2010

Mam, we should arrive in 20 to 60 minutes...

Warning: Massive Rambling Ahead!

Ugh... me, the suburban, transmission, tow truck... YUCK!

The Story:It began the evening before... coming home from track practice. I was close to home and stopped at the stop sign and the beast wouldn't go. I put it in park and pack in drive and heard a HUGE klunk. I was able to drive the 1/4 mile home. It was too late to call a mechanic (not that I have one), so after chatting with Joe (who was out of town) decided I would deal with it tomorrow.


The next morning:Kids ready, baseball bag packed, soccer bag packed. lunches packed and everyone is on the bus... success! Pepe's baseball coach called and offered to drop by and get his baseball bag (I don't like him to have to carry it on the bus and I was going to drop it by the school... but the car... not sure about the car.) Yes... I'll leave the bag out.
Showered, my lunch packed, called a mechanic... time to go.


I head out of the drive way... so far so good. Make it to the stop sign... still doing well. Start up the road, get past the housing developments and my car starts in... loud noises... there is no where to pull over or turn around. Approaching stop sign... should I make a u-turn and head home? NO... keep going. Turn left got 20 feet and think OH NO! This is not going to work. (If you are a mom... I liken it to giving birth... the baby was crowning... I thought for sure the transmission was falling out of the car.) I find the first road, pull over and stop.
Aaaaaagh! Find AAA card, check membership (so happy that membership isn't expired) and call for a cab. Mam, there should be a tow truck there within 20 to 60 minutes. YUCK! So, I sit. Pretty soon, a truck pulls in... it is Phineous' baseball coach. He had been to the house and saw me... I assured him I was fine and he could go on his way. He was very nice to stop and check on me. I made a few phone calls (I'll be late to work, etc).




45 minutes later the tow truck arrives. Without many words I am ushered into the truck to wait. It smells... stale cigarette smoke and coffee. I start texting Joe... "I am in the cab of the tow truck." The truck shakes and moves while he loads the beast. I just keep texting friends and coworkers... a girl needs to stay busy.



Finally, we head to the mechanic. The truck shakes uncontrollably. Charlie tells me that "it has been quite a day for transmissions." And the proceeds to tell me that his truck was having transmission problems... GREAT... I am picturing the tow truck breaking down with the beast on the back of it. Oh boy. We hit the freeway... still massive shaking. We exit... Charlie says... "truck drives a little different"... I smile, laugh and say "yes". Charlies says, "no worries, I haven't rolled a truck yet." WHAT!?!!??!



At the mechanic... I sign the tow truck papers and head into the office. The men were awesome... I think they knew they were dealing with a "woman on the edge!" By this point I have to go to the bathroom... those of you that know me know that I ALWAYS have to go to the bathroom. I have been holding for an hour... guess what... the mechanic has a nice, clean bathroom... heaven!

Tonight:
1. Locked myself out of my house (no keys and garage door opener is programmed into the car... found a way in.)

2. Found both boys a ride to practice (While putting on Pepe's soccer shoes, we realize that he has a size 4 and a size 6... Phinneous had packed one of each shoe for baseball... thanks goodness we have extra cleats lying around.)

3. Wore cream jeans to work... sat in purple playdough... walked around for a few hours with purple playdough on my A$$

4. Pepe didn't have a great practice... dont' get me wrong... I appreciate the feedback... just tough to process today

5. Pepe slices his finger on a soup can... blood EVERYWHERE... no bandaids (they are in my car in the first aid kit... finally cute HUGE bandaids into smaller pieces. Think we may need a trip to the ER... stitches? Blood finally stops... replace saturated bandaid... we'll check it in the morning.
6. Bed time -- Aaagh -- I still have homework.

7. Homework done, BBF (BFF for most people... it's a joke I'll have to fill you in on) can't relish the idea of us without a car... especially when Pepe's finger has been sliced and I tell her to stand by... we may need a ride to the ER. She and hubby bring me there extra truck.

8. Homework done, eat dinner (9:40) and blog the story... it must be blogged in all of its rambling glory.
Nite!

No comments: