Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Words, Routines and Things

I am a routine girl. I like a schedule with flexibility. I like my kids. I love my kids, but it was time for everyone to be back on their routine. That being said, Pepe, the oldest, broke the routine yesterday (the first day back to the routine) with a boom... I don't want to swim on the team anymore... Wwwwwwhat?!?!?!

Now, in my heart of heart, I've known that this would come. The team has been a great opportunity and it has provided much for him, but I knew that it wouldn't last. I just wasn't ready for it to be over. I've always said that I want my kids to have many experiences and as long as they put forth effort and didn't 'quit' that I was happy. I don't feel like Pepe is quitting... he's been at it for almost a year. He loves his coach, he loves the water, but he's done. I was, I must admit, crushed at first. Not because he doesn't want to swim, but this is one of the first things in his life that he is taking control of. I have a responsibility to raise a man... and yes, I do believe that it starts now.

So, as we work through this week I have to be careful. I do not want to guilt him into continued swimming (he also plays soccer, basketball and baseball... it's not like the boy isn't busy... it will help me out not running him to practice 2x a week... but still my heart is heavy) so I have to be careful of my words (see the Simple Wife's post about words) and my tone. Knowing Pepe, he's been having these thoughts for awhile... he is like his Dad (okay... and me) we think about things. So, if he's verbalized it, it is probably time to hang up the gear. I want Pepe to walk away with the confidence that he tried something new, he stuck with it and when it didn't fit he walked away respectfully. He should be proud of what he has accomplished, because I certainly am.

Now... what am I going to do with all of his extra energy in the middle of winter?

3 comments:

Karmyn R said...

In the life of an 8 year old - a year is a long time. He should be proud that he stuck with it for so long.

Jammin' didn't want to do swim lessons anymore either - but we are forcing him. Until he can pass Level 3 (swim across by himself) he has to keep going. Horrible of us? We both think he needs to learn how to swim. He is almost there.

Jules from "The Roost" said...

Isn't it amazing how easy they can just fall out of love with something they have been doing! Maybe another sport fits him better. I think our kids did almost everything! They are trying to figure out what they really like to I guess.

Rachel said...

I'm sorry...change is hard, isn't it?? But on the bright side, there must be something better in store! :)